Kari Jamicich sent her wedding dress to have a unisex gown made for her son to wear for his baptism. Her wedding dress was made of pretty thick poly satin so we went with our “Bishop” style gown. Because the gown had seams falling in inconvenient places, I ended up adding some ribbons down the center front to cover a seam. We also made several kerchiefs with embroidery.
Kathleen Hoppe sent her wedding dress to have two little train skirts for her daughters to wear as flower girls in their uncle’s wedding. Kathleen’s dress had lots of gathered organza ruffles–which gave me quite a challenge to tame smile emoticon In addition to the skirts, we made a couple of kerchiefs, a jewelry pouch and a wedding garter.
Susan Patricia decided to take full advantage of the materials from her dress when she sent it to us. She wanted a variety of items made for her children, grandchildren and future grandchildren. We made a couple of wedding garters, some embroidered kerchiefs and a ring pillow. We pulled the satin binding from three baby blankets and replaced it with the satin from the wedding dress. We also made a couple of sashes for future wedding bouquets, a Christmas ornament and a couple of zippered storage pouches.
We took the outside edges of some of the lace and created a satin ribbon to make the garters[/ezcol_1third][ezcol_1third]
The kerchiefs for her daughters have lace trim. All three kerchiefs were embroidered with the recipient’s initial and “Love Mom” on them.[/ezcol_1third][ezcol_1third_end]
The ring pillow used some of the lace and bead work.[/ezcol_1third_end]
We pulled the original binding off these blankets and put new binding made from the WD satin. We also added and embroidered heart label[/ezcol_1third][ezcol_1third]
The ornament was made from a mix the veil tulle and some of the bits of lace and beadwork from the WD.[/ezcol_1third][ezcol_1third_end]
The two zippered pouches were made from a patchwork of WD materials.[/ezcol_1third_end]
These sashes are for wrapping a future bridal bouquet[/ezcol_1third][ezcol_1third]
We made two stemmed roses for inserting into future bridal bouquets.[/ezcol_1third][ezcol_1third_end]
We also used the materials from the veil and added lace from the WD to make a new veil.[/ezcol_1third_end]
Ann Szapor wanted her wedding dress turned into a christening gown and romper set for her first grandchild and future grandchildren. She originally ordered our Gown, Romper & Bonnet combo with the addition of a boy’s cap but she really wanted an overlay on the gown similar to some of the photos she’s seen on our web site. An overlay or robe is an additional garment and it takes quite a bit of time to make so we charge $220 for this add-on. However, we offer a Gown with overlay combo that includes a bonnet. It was less expensive to switch to a Gown with Overlay combo and add the romper and cap. She also added a ring pillow and kerchief.
The overlay was made from the WD mesh and lace. It is sleeveless with a ribbon closure. We did have to add some of our own lace trim at the opening.[/ezcol_1third][ezcol_1third]
Normally, when we make an overlay, the actual gown is plain. However, Ann’s wedding dress had two layers of mesh and an organza accordion gather at the hem. We decided to use the plain mesh and accordion gather on the gown and added some of the floral lace appliques so that you could see them through the overlay.[/ezcol_1third][ezcol_1third_end]
We used the base fabric from the WD for the little man romper and took just a bit of the lace mesh and added it to the faux vest.[/ezcol_1third_end]
The matching bonnet included some of the lace mesh.[/ezcol_1third][ezcol_1third]
The boy’s cap was made from the WD base fabric.[/ezcol_1third][ezcol_1third_end]
The kerchief was made from the WD base fabric with an embroidered “S”.[/ezcol_1third_end]
The ring pillow used the base WD fabric. We put some of the accordion organza on two sections and lace overall.[/ezcol_1third][ezcol_1third]
The wedding dress was covered in lace with two layers of organza on the skirt. Some of the netting under the lace of the bodice had fabric rusted but the lace itself was still in good condition so we removed it from the mesh and used it as applique to the christening gown skirt.[/ezcol_1third][ezcol_1third_end]
Mary Furman sent her wedding dress and her daughter’s mother-in-law’s wedding dress to have a christening outfit made for their first grandchild. The wedding dresses were both very different and mixing the different materials was a challenge, but we were pleased with the results.
For the gown, we used the satin from the MIL WD on the bodice and sleeves and added some lacey applique from Mary’s WD. The skirt used the lining fabric from the MIL WD and an overlay of organza and ace from Mary’s WD.[/ezcol_1third][ezcol_1third]
The booties used the satin and lining fabrics from the MIL WD and we appliqued some flowers from Mary’s WD.[/ezcol_1third][ezcol_1third_end]
The bib used the satin from the MIL WD and an applique of lace from Mary’s WD. [/ezcol_1third_end]
The headband was made from the lining and organza of Mary’s WD with beads from the MIL WD.[/ezcol_1third][ezcol_1third]
The panties used the lining fabric from the MIL WD and were decorated with some accordion organza from Mary’s WD.[/ezcol_1third][ezcol_1third_end]
Gerri Walsh wanted us to make this heirloom christening outfit from her wedding dress. We wanted to use as much of the lace as possible. The lace is very delicate and feminine. We also made a matching headband and some kerchiefs.